Tuesday, January 22, 2008

364 days ago!

Well, its my birthday tomorrow and for the first time I have not even thought about it (till now that is) Now those of you who know me, know that daily reminders are sent to those around me, reminding them of the day that is about to come. I usually make a huge deal about my ‘big’ day and use it to my advantage to see all my beloved friends all at the same time.

So this year is the first year when I just don’t care. I have been focused on Kai’s birthday party and what she will be doing on Friday

I have come to the conclusion though, that I am going to be much better at 32 than I was at 31…… here’s why.

At my 31st birthday I:

 Did not have Kailey in my life yet
 Had not experienced 26 hours of labor
 Had not yet experienced been a 31 year old full time student
 Did not have my degree
 Was not half as bossy as I am now (motherhood does mad things to a woman)
 Had no idea how much I could do in a day let alone a year
 Had not yet reconnected with my SA friends
 Had not yet had a 24 hour travel experience with a 9 week old on my own
 Had not yet experienced the words Mama
 Had not learnt the word patience to its fullest (thanks to Kai and Deric away for 9 months)
 Had not yet learnt that home is where Deric, Kai and I are (or where Kai and I are, depending on deployments)
 I had not yet learnt that I can operate just fine on 4 hours of broken sleep for 6 months, at the same time as writing a thesis, completing 11 assignments, doing 2 practical exams and writing 5 theoretical exams
 Had not yet spent quality time with my family and parents in SA
 Had not yet experience what it is like to be a single parent - (thank goodness that’s over)


So, what this birthday brings me is that I am better than I was at 31 and much stronger than I was just 364 days ago.
What more could you ask for from a birthday!!!!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY. Have a great day.I am sure Kailey will give you a big birthday kiss. If she dosent, put her on the phone with me and I will explain to her how to treat a Mom on her birthday.

Lots of love

Mom

Anonymous said...

What an amazing person you are! Have a wonderful birthday! Enjoy Kailey's birthday weekend!! Isn't amazing how many blessing we are given?

Miss you
Happy Birthday!
Kellie

Unknown said...

Happy birthday, Jo! I hope you had at least 5 minutes of "me" time today. Can't wait to see you guys this weekend!

Anonymous said...

25 January 2008
A big happy birthday to Kailey on this her first "special" day and a big congratulation to her Mom who made it all possible.

Nampa

Sarah Jarvis said...

Happy Birthday! I've been meaning to send you a card or call for ... weeks now. Ah...well, please know I think of you all ALL of the time! Looking forward to that joint playdate sometime soon. In CA. Or NC. Or GA. Anywhere!
love, sarah, zack and B (the fun Americans)

Natasha Vidas said...

Hi Jo

I hope you get this comment and that it doesn't go to the bottom of the pile. This is just in reply to having read your blog for the first time in absolute ages. It really is great that you have put so much onto the site - feel like I am there with you. Kailey is absolutely gorgeous - just like her mom and dad of course. Love all the photos. Derec looks great as a dad and you look stunning as usual Jo. Love all your comments leading up to your birthday and why you are a better person and the thought I would nevers.....thanks for making me laugh. It's just not fair that we live miles apart!!!! Love you so much and can't wait to meet Kailey. Love you. Tash