Thursday, November 22, 2007

HAPPY THANKSGIVING EVERYONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I took a moment to reflect on thanksgiving and my very short history with this holiday…

For me Thanksgiving began in 2002 – before then it was a holiday that was sometime in the year and I did not understand why Americans even had it.

I left SA in the beginning of 2002 and was invited to have my very first Thanksgiving in Rochester NY. This was my very first trip to the USA and the first time I saw real snow (lots of it). I could not believe how much food there was!

In 2003 Deric and I had met and we were dating – He was living in Germany and I was in London still. He flew out to spend Thanksgiving with me. I was still working and on the Thursday Deric flew in and caught a cab to my flat in Marylebone. Unforeseen to me I was called to an event that I had running and was not able to get home till 11pm that evening……. I felt so bad, but Deric just hung out with my flatmates and chilled. All the restaurants were closed so we landed up having Thanksgiving dinner at a Doner shop. Deric says that was his best Thanksgiving.

In 2004 – Deric was in Iraq and my friends Sarah and Zack (Americans) were having a Thanksgiving dinner – they made this funny food called ‘Chilli’ I had no idea what it was suppose to be, was it soup? was it spaghetti sauce? They called me the token American and it was a great evening. (by the way I am now a chilli addict)

In 2005 – was almost a month till our wedding and I was flying to SA the day after. Deric and I spent the day alone and I made a small chicken for Thanksgiving dinner.

Last year 2006 – we drove to Virginia to be with Dawnele and Lexy (Deric’s sister and our niece) and had a great weekend there, I was pregnant at the time and as far as I can remember was sleeping at every chance I got.

Now this year I am in SA, and Deric is in Florida with his parents. Although I am looking forward to his coming here, I am starting to get very frustrated. I have been waiting for almost 9 months and he is still not here…. School was supposed to be finished last week and now drags on for another week!!!!! Nothing is ending! I am not going to count down anymore days I will just keep busy and get as much done as possible before he arrives.

So there you have it ….. Kaileys first Thanksgiving too and today when we go to the shops to do some Christmas shopping I will let her have a cookie!!!!

I hope you all have a wonderful day and safe travels!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love you so much Jo... You make me smile more than anyone I've ever met.

Next year we'll have a BIG Thanksgiving!!!

Deric

Anonymous said...

Hang in there Jo! When you really want something, time always seems to slow down as it gets closer. Deric says you'll have a big Thanksgiving next year, we'll have to introduce you to a new food. Authentic Southern Maryland stuffed ham. (It does not have bread stuffing but a stuffing made of greens and spices)

Give Kai a kiss from me!!
Love
Kellie

Huse Yo Mama said...

Jo, this made me cry. I was laughing the whole way until I got to the part about this year. And then Deric's comment made me fall apart.

I'm so thankful we met and actually started hanging out. Even though it was over a year later! I'm thankful that Deric is home. I hate that y'all aren't together, but you can rest knowing that he's out of harm's way. I'm thankful that school is almost over for you. I'm thankful that Kai is healthy and you're going to give her a cookie. I'm REALLY thankful for Kelly and her Christmas present to me - the flight to NC....when I get to see you too!!!!!

Have a TERRIFIC Thanksgiving and I can't until we're all together again to give bunches and bunches of hugs!

Love, Rachel